View Single Post
Old 07-03-08, 06:59 AM   #901
tomfon
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 178
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig

my question is, just how sure were uboat commaders of these 3 three details when attackin in conditions such as heavy seas?...
Hello Laffertytig!
In my opinion if the weather was awful Uboat Commanders would not usually attack. I do not know how difficult was for them to perform an attack in bad weather but it surely was a challenge.
Playing SH3 with the Ubermod installed will make you realise part of this challenge! It is difficult for example to maintain a steady course and you must set your Uboats depth to 11 meters or so to make the use of the attack scope effective. A German commander at a BBCs documentary said that sometimes in bad weather they could see merchant ships moving parallel to the UBoats course but they just couldn't attack them due to heavy seas. Survival was their only care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffertytig
... or dark nights?
The part that is unrealistic here is that ships can be identified from a distance up to 16km! (If you want you can pretend that you can't identify the ship from that distance and try get closer to it.:hmm

--------------------------------------

OLC, can you tell us if the UZO in RL was like the one in the Ubermod? If not, how did they calculate the targets range while on a surface attack? Maybe an experienced commander could estimate the range by eye(?) I don't know.

Last edited by tomfon; 07-03-08 at 05:09 PM.
tomfon is offline   Reply With Quote