View Single Post
Old 05-11-07, 08:28 PM   #13
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driscol
I've been interested in just this sort of thing and have wondered about how feasible it would be to re-create some of the battles (especially the tactic of setting up a cross-fire of torpedos from subs and destroyer squadrons, in an effort to trap a fast moving battlship. I can see a problem possibly with the number of ships and the demands on the computer. Do you think that it was the size of the taskforce that caused the program to slow the TF down to 5 knots? Any thoughts on a work around to keep the speed up -- the manual suggests a TF max speed of 27 knots.

As I said, I sank the Kongo and so without realizing it, fulfilled both of the mission objectives at once. This resulted in an immediate termination and transfer to the results screen. I didn't even get to watch the Kongo go down, because I had switched briefly to another screen. Perhaps I'll try running the mission again, without sinking anything so that I can watch the battle. How much farther along does it occur?,

The Quick Missions gives you the option to return to the scenario after you have fullfilled the objectives. If you wish to witness the surface battle between the task forces here's what I did. When you start the mission, you should pick up the US task Force behind you on radar. Set speed to 1/3 ahead and run TC at low setting until you pick up the Japanese Task Force on radar, submerge your sub and wait for the fireworks to begin. Here are a couple of screenies from the scenario.

Musashi Fires A Broadside

North Carolina Returns Fire

cdrsubron7

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote