View Single Post
Old 09-03-05, 07:15 PM   #151
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

***Actually ignore this, if you've come late. Amizaur did a thorough speed test and the engine is bugged for all torps from 58-159kts.***

Ok guys, from the strange but true file.

The game engine is hardcoded to treat the max speed of the ADCAP at 55kts for calculation purposes. Raising the max speed of the weapon to something above 55kts, in effect, tells the engine to compute the physics at 55kts, and then add whatever the value the max speed is above 55kts to *any calculation*, up to about 3-4kts, based on early tests. So, when you tell the weapon to run at a particular speed, the game calculates that speed, and then adds the value above max speed to the torpedo calculations.

I have tried to run at max speed 60kts, and for any setting, we get about 4 kts above, with max 63kts. When I changed it to 58kts, I got a max speed of 61kts, and an over of about 3kts. If the max speed is set to 56kts, then the over will be 1 kts and the max speed will be 56kts, where the two effects would intersect on a graph.

This is unfortunate and unexpected. I think Ive had an interesting day of discoveries. I smell DARPA's hand in this.

In all seriousness, why would SCS hardcode the algorithms to 55kts for the ADCAP? since that is the only explanation for this regular but odd behavior...

Edit: I just read Amizaur's post, it could be a bug in the physics engine, but this is very particular behavior.