View Single Post
Old 03-03-15, 11:39 AM   #68
nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

UGH UNITY 5 IS RELEASED NOW BECAUSE OF EPIC GAMES! I saw this in a dream last night I swear. Now I have a really hard choice. Chad? Input? I'd switch to Unity 5 if I had a co-creator on board, but even then its really really close since the Unreal Engine Community Ocean project is so beautiful and all blueprinted. Otherwise I'm loving UE4, but havnt started a project for this in it yet so the switch wouldn't have me lose anything except the c++ coding I learned so far [which is moot since most people are doing everything in blueprint except extreme cases like really complicated algorithms]
Gonna turn up the tunes, forget about the whole engine debate, and work on 571.

PS adding skype as a contact option for anyone. IM username - blendertek

Heres the list of major changes I added to the wiki
Quote:
Unity 5 released for free on March 3rd, 2015 added the much anticipated real-time global illumination based on the Geomerics Enlighten technology. Other major changes include physically-based shaders, HDR sky-boxes, reflection probes, a new audio mixer with effects and enhanced animator workflows. PhysX was updated to 3.3, whereas Unity 4.x had an aging version. Unitys Cloud Build system was introduced (for $25/month for non-pro users) as well as 'Game Performance Reporting' and the beta 'Game Analytics' (also 25$/month for non-pro users) which logs players usage and performance on released games, something that many developers found hard to implement in Unity 4.x. Previously, a game developer needed to code support for player logging directly into their game engine.
Smaller additons include: A 64-bit editor to handle large projects, iOS 64-bit support, new deferred rendering, graphics command buffers, improved linear lighting, HDR, skybox and cubemap workflows, improved job scheduling system, a new 'CPU Timeline Profiler' lets you see and investigate multicore usage, improved NavMesh pathfinding system, integrated SpeedTree (a 3rd-party vegetation creation program) support to create lush, rich and dynamic vegetation, new Frame Debugger to track down graphical issues in your projects, Improved Project Wizard, updated standard assets, new UI and scripting APIs for AssetBundle Build system and lastly, access to the new Asset Store Level 11 program: Available for free to Unity 5 Professional customers, and soon to be available to Unity Personal Edition users for $19/month.

PhysX 3.3 Update Up until Unity 5 the engine was using a fairly outdated version of Nvidias PhysX physics middleware. The 3.3 version included in Unity 5, which is standard among triple-a quality video games includes the following features: multithreaded simulation for platforms that support it, a new cloth component for character clothing. New wheel colliders make better support for suspension and tire force simulation in vehicle based games. Collision mesh detection is improved and bake-free scaled MeshCollider support as well. All these features means the physics will be much more realistic in Unity 5 and no longer prone to the problems and bugs that plagues developers in Unreal 4.x.
Supported Platforms in Unity 5 Unity 5 brings support for Windows, Mac, Linux/Steam OS, Unity Webplayer, Android, iOS, Blackberry 10, Windows Phone 8, Tizen, Windows Store apps, WebGL, Playstation 3, Playstation 4, Playstation Vita, Wii U. Xbox One, Xbox 360, Android TV, Samsung Smart TV, Oculus Rift, and Gear VR for a total of 21 supported platforms.
More Unity 5 Release notes can be found in the Unity 5.0 changelog

Todays goal: Get the hull of 571 game ready.

Edit: Intalled Unity 5 and will do a quick comparison video but the activation server is down for now Unity is now 11 gigs to download and 6 gigs once installed.

Edit2: Yep Epic Games Launcher now has a friends system. If you try out UE4 chad add me: Nsomnia or sderek02@gmail.com I dont know which one it uses.

Last edited by nsomnia; 03-03-15 at 02:07 PM.
nsomnia is offline   Reply With Quote