nsomnia
Weps

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad View Post
Hey nsomnia, have you seen this??
http://www.pcgamer.com/unreal-engine-4-is-now-free/

And as for my Prohibition idea, nah, it went several iterations with playable builds, but never as far as I wanted it.

I need to download from your GitHub and keep current with what you are working on.
No I havnt....
Account Balance

$30

Now I have They just revolutionized the gaming industry for the 3rd/4th time.

I didn't really see it coming though. Like I said the whopping 20 dollars kept the people who thought they could create the next call of duty or minecraft in a few clicks away (ala unity forums). Thats great though that means people will really start coming over. Epic is REALLY REALLY great people and I think in a years time most indie games will be built with UE4, excepting mobile, I think Unity has the market there, at least for now. Another thought, they really are not losing money, at last check before they opened the github repository to the public they had 21,000 current subscribers. So they are losing 400 grand over the course of a couple years and gaining who knows how much from the huge amount of games your gonna see on steam/self published etc. with UE4. They follow my strategy. Do the work now for free, and get payment later continuously forever.

I dont keep my github 100% up to date cause I have no worry about anyone needing the latest updates and because I really havnt created anything useful yet save for the compartment models.

Having a bitch with the exterior I hate modelling vehicles, still. Tomorrow morning I'll probably grind on 'er again.

I love spaghetti westerns too haha. See back when I totally shelved my U-boat game more or less I was thinking of game ideas to start on that could involve a story (I was making hobby simulator games at the time only) and a prohibition game could've been a great idea. Then again Mafia II didnt do the greatest.

What did I say about my luck? I update my subscription on UE and then they release it free. Smart smart business move because as indie game devs see the potential of UE4 they are making the switch, of course give it development time, say another 4-6 months before we start seeing a huge influx of Alpha releases but just browsing the Unreal forums makes my jaws drop at the things people are doing already. People have to remember how new UE4 is (UDK cant be compared and UE3 was apparently not easy to use).

A whole 30 dollars credit for the marketplace where there is no assets yet. At least now that people can download it for free the marketplace will get submissions. HOWEVER a big issue right now is that Epic is only accepting Marketplace submissions from people who are known well by the community and company so they can update their Assets in a timely matter for new versions because Epic is going through so many changes so fast they just cant gaurentee new-version-compatibility for some things. (Unless you write your whole game in C++, your own shaders etc.) so alot of people are still using 4.1 and 4.3 for compatibility which were released mid 2014.
Another problem they are discussing right now is if a developer makes a plugin for UE4 should he release the source code along with it so that people can fix it themselves if the creator decides to stop supporting it. Big arguments on the forum. So far the best solution is some assets will be closed source with a "buyer beware" warning and most will be open source and some will be opensource with "special parts" in some sort of a wrapper and lastly people who cant comply with that just sell it themselves. This is only for plugins/blueprints/code though. Props are of course compatible 100%.

I think this is great. I got on the bandwagon at just the right time. Now you have no excuse to download it, drag n drop yer assets in and start playing with blueprinting and node based PBM shaders. (Ive heard the Unreal offical youtube channel tutorials are among the best, and on the wiki search for tutorials by Rama he is amazing).

I should've started this model first before I did all that work on the interior. Then I would've had it done by now and then some. Oh well you cant expect a whole ship model in a couple days by someone who likes to take naps often.

Edit: The unreal forums are exploding already. I hope you downloaded the source (If you have Visual Studio 2013, or 2013 Community Edition) or the compiled binary to at least say "I have it" incase they change their mind and start learning it before Unity becomes for mobile games only