View Single Post
Old 05-23-19, 07:56 PM   #8191
torpedobait
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 397
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It does seem that there is no happy medium between surface ships shooting the big guns at each other (which they still don't do correctly), and not seeing a submarine so easily from 5200 yards. Similarly with a night surface attack. If you set sensors up for that, you lose the distance vision of the AI. What gets me, is that if you make an AI submarine that can sit below the surface of the water, the AI on the surface ship "sees" them, and shoots their guns at them, while starting their depth charge run. I don't mean shots from the fore guns, just to keep the sub honest about its periscope use, I mean it's like the sub is on the surface, and they're giving it broadside after broadside, as they "weave" their way in. From what I can recall from my reading, they would come straight on practically, Ahead Flank, with the occasional slight change in course as an anti-torpedo measure, to get to the submarine's "targeted" location ASAP, and drop the boom-boom on them. Drive them deep, so they're ineffective.

There's just gotta be some way to get a better balance... maybe...
I really appreciate the effort and time you are putting into this. I can confirm that they were Judys based on visual IDs through the periscope on some of those occasions where the bombs hit home. I do use Map Contacts ON, so I can also just click on the icon that shows on the Nav Map to get an ID, on the assumption that my crew was good enough to make the ID from the size of the blip. Those are almost uniformly Judys near Bungo Suido. I presume they were also Judys that bombed me at 100' given it was night. I know the Bettys also come as Dive Bombers, but unless I was directly in their path I've never been attacked by one (that I know of!). I've now gone back to my old habit of diving immediately to at least 100' on getting a radar contact, increasing speed, and changing course. So far last night and today I have not been attacked, day or night. It is tedious (all the diving) but once away from the contact point I set the speed to 1 knot and just wait until dark. What the heck, I'm just listening for contacts anyway.

Run Silent, Run Deep, and Sink 'em All
torpedobait is offline   Reply With Quote