View Single Post
Old 02-20-16, 04:37 PM   #13
McBeck
Admiral

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan D View Post
Well, the fantastic Danish hosts of the last intercontinental subsim meeting in Copenhagen/Denmark made it possible for us attending members to actually dive in a privately built submarine, the legendary UC3 Nautilus
http://uc3nautilus.dk/

I remember doing the first dive with Peter Madsen, Neal Stevens and Limkol.

When the hatches got closed, I felt like „omg, i don't want people to read in the news about me tomorrow „tragic indicent: subsim nerds accidently killed themselves in Copenhagen harbour with real submarine (Darwin award)“ or „day 3: rescue team about to make contact with crew of submarine“.

I even called my wife from inside the sub to tell her what I was about to do, and to say good-bye to her, just in case, later I forgot to call her back because I was so excited.

After closing the hatches (manholes), the ballast tanks were flooded with water and so we went down stern first, it was a trim dive, until we hit the harbour ground. There we sat for a while. Thankfully, we had compressed air onboard to blow the ballast tanks to pop up again.

The moment when I realised that the submarine came off the harbour ground and with its 40 tons weight was slowly hovering in the water, was a relief.

The sound and the feeling from the diesel engine running was great, too. The smell of fresh air and the sunshine was even greater.

@Horsa has documented the dives on video. May be, he or somebody else can repost them.
Yes, that Subsim meeting will always be special for me and it was an honour to host it and be able to give you guys a real experience in a submarine diving.

If we are lucky, Nautilus will be back in the water this year - Follow her on Facebook.

Heres a video of that day

"I like subcommanders...they dont have time for bull****!"

Proud member of the Subsim army of zombies
Becks website
McBeck is offline   Reply With Quote