View Single Post
Old 02-22-19, 12:30 PM   #81
JamesT73J
Medic

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I approached it with an open mind. I wasn't expecting too much; after all the original will forever be unsurpassed.

I think it's good. A different focus than the original mini/film, and taken on its merits I think it is well made. I like the little moments of fan service, and the procedural detail on the operation of the submarine is nicely done. I really like the soundtrack; it reminds me a little of the Blade Runner 2049 score.

The foley work is a bit disappointing; much time was spent on the original (including re-recording a few pieces for the 1997 release) and I do think the sound needs some work.

The cinematography is good, and the effects work is subtle; I was worried the reliance on CGI would leak into things but thus far their brief appears to have been 'keep the aesthetic of the original'.

The scenes with three languages are brilliant; you have to hand it to them, it's ambitious.

I'll always love the original. I do not mind this one at all, and I have to say their overhead shot of the boat cutting through the centre of the frame is absolutely fantastic.
"My advice - buy the damn game and play the arse off it. It's not all there yet but it's still a damn good game, and we all know it'll be even better once the community is done crawling all over it." User 'Sideways' 08th March 2010.
JamesT73J is offline   Reply With Quote