View Single Post
Old 05-11-09, 11:17 PM   #4
Naga
Watch

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Hello.

The black line you see is the direction of the hydrophone contact. The reason you can't see the is because it is too far away. Sound travels more easily underwater, so the hydrophone can pick up contacts outside of visual range. It's also worth mentioning that if you turn all the realism options, you won't have those lines, so you must have missed one.

Closing means it is moving toward you.

To intercept it, I'm not sure what you do. I use GWX, and I think it is impossible to plot a contact's course using only the hydrophone with this mod. At least, not as accurately as you can in the base game, where you can figure out the ship's speed by listening to it's propeller RPM. "Moving slow" generally means about 6kts, so just plot a line from your submarine in the direction of the contact, wait five minutes, and plot another line. Then wait another five minutes, and plot another line Assuming the ship moved at a rate of 6kts for a knopwn amount of time, you can calculate the distance it travelled. Then you can "draw triangles" to determine its approximate heading based on the bearing lines you drew and the fact that you know how far it went in a given amount of time (you have all three lengths, you just have to figure out how they connect up.)

I'm tired right now, and I know my explanation sucks. If someone else doesn't chime in, I will try to draw a picture tomorow to explain.

I hope I helped.
Naga is offline   Reply With Quote