View Single Post
Old 12-28-06, 08:09 PM   #12
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonar732
Don't they still have a Med fleet stationed on the Black Sea? I'd see them traveling thru the Dardenelles and transit the Med into the Suez Canal and Red Sea? Granted, I don't know if DW allows for a Black Sea transit thru the Dardenelles.
The Dardanelles in DW is blocked by land.

In reality, the Montreux Convention of 1936 gives Turkey control over the Bosporus and Dardanelles. Article 12 of the convention limits the transit of submarines through the straits. (This is why all Soviet/Russian subs sent to patrol in the Med must come through the Gibraltar Strait.)

Article 12.
Black Sea Powers shall have the right to send through the Straits, for the purpose of rejoining their base, submarines constructed or purchased outside the Black Sea, provided that adequate notice of the laying down or purchase of such submarines shallI have been given to Turkey.
Submarines belonging to the said Powers shall also be entitled to pass through the Straits to be repaired in dockyards outside the Black Sea on condition that detailed information on the matter is given to Turkey.
In either case, the said submarines must travel by day and on the surface, and must pass though the Straits singly.

( http://www.turkishpilots.org/DOCUMENTS/montro.html )