View Single Post
Old 10-01-18, 07:30 PM   #2
Mspot
Bosun

Downloads: 57
Uploads: 0

Interestingly: after perusing numerous published photographs of the Seawolf and Virginia class submarines, it seems that indeed the Virginia class submarine has six torpedo tubes and the Seawolf class has eight.

Further: while both over-all outward physical designs resemble the other, there are noticeable, if not very minor, almost insignificant, differences. With a more or less few minor differences, hats off to the designer of the 2004-campaign mod (Lt. J.G. Beam, I believe) as he got several or more of those right -- including, perhaps most notably, what he refers to as the chin sonar. Obviously, there are some differences he could do nothing about as he is working with the only 3D-model for that class available (based on the Seawolf).

Of the many interesting items of note with and between those two classes of submarine is that it seems, from looking at them, that there would be little to no room for vertical launch systems as there are on Ohio and LA-class submarines because of the seemingly relatively little distance between the bow sonar dome and the sail.

Another, and the last, interestingly perceived visually referenced difference between the Virginia and Seawolf -- even though both have it -- is the hull mounted convex panel additions for which I have read so very little about. Most would have you believe they are a passive hull mounted sonar array -- which they may well be. Some would have you believe that they are a non-defined weapons platform. Most interestingly, according to the pictures I surveyed, is that those panels are larger in dimensions than on the Virginia than the they are on the Seawolf. Apparently, anyway.

So, I guess that what I am saying here is that while there are some irregularities and inconsistencies, some of these people have done their homework and or know what they are talking about.

Kudos to you!
Then out spoke brave Horatius, the Captain of the Gate: to every man upon this earth death come soon or late. And how can man die better than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his fathers, and the temples of his gods.
Mspot is offline   Reply With Quote