View Single Post
Old 07-27-17, 06:45 AM   #10
Decho
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj95 View Post
??? Wait....if the engine prevents adding models...then how did they add models to begin with? Did they make all the 3d stuff for the game and all of the sudden forget how to do it?

Again, I'm no programmer but that doesn't make sense to my tiny brain. If it was possible to add models in the first place, then it should still be possible unless of course the devs are using some program that modders do not have access to, or.... chose to encrypt stuff so as to add DLC later.

(which Im totally cool with BTW....I'd pay for some nice diesels and NATO nukes)

Anyway...not my field...better shut up.
Basically the devs can add models because they have the unpackaged Unity project file, which contains all of the source code and models and everything which is in the game. When they package a build of the game Unity turns this all into neat files which can't really be modded. So the only way for them to let us add 3d models would involve them giving us the full source code of the game which wouldn't be a particularly sound business decision.

So yeah basically they have access to stuff that modders don't, but they also can't really give it out, even if they wanted to allow modders to add 3d models.

They could quite easily have folded in all of the ship specs and mission files into the packaged unity files, so they have actually done modders a service by having that type of thing so accessible. Note also that it is possible to set up a Unity game in such a way that 3d models are kept outside the packaged files, but this involves quite a lot of extra work.
Decho is offline   Reply With Quote