Thread: il2 sturmovik
View Single Post
Old 05-26-07, 01:31 AM   #70
Tikigod
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0

All aircraft turn because of the spin of the prop. You have to gain enough speed to straighten out and stabilize the aircraft.

The following are things I do in most aircraft to get them airborne.

1. Apply full left rudder to counter the turning until you get up to speed.

2. Pump wheel brakes until you get up to speed. I usually apply brakes hard if it begins to turn too much. But, the key is to pump them lightly as you apply throttle just to keep it on track. So, when it begins to turn apply brake and hard rudder. As it straightens let off the brake. Repeat as necessary.

3. Don't throttle all at once from a dead stop. Throttling fast without any airflow will just make aircraft turn in place. Throttle slowly and gradually until you get up to speed. If you are in a hurry try the brake pumping method above as you apply more throttle. The harder the aircraft turns the more brake and rudder you will need to apply to counter it.

4. Some aircraft have a tail wheel you can lock. This helps to keep the tail straight until you get enough speed.

5. Some planes have WEP (War Emergency Power). This give the aircraft more boost for short periods when you need it. Each aircraft has an optimal altitude for WEP some are better at high altitudes while others are better at low altitudes. The Tempest has optimal thrust with WEP at lower altitudes (around sea level) So, if you are taking off with Tempest you can use WEP as a kick in the pants to get the plane to stabailze and off the ground faster. (Keep in mind WEP is engaged differently on aircraft. Some like the Tempest you will have to press "W" to engage it while other aircraft it turns on once throttle is pushed beyond a certain point. But, this is only when complex engine management is turned on in your difficulty settings.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radtgaeb
Hey guys. I'm having a bit of an issue with taking off.

In fact, I haven't even had a succesful takeoff yet...

My plane automatically starts swerving to the left and my wing snaps off before I can correct it.

I now have a logitech extreme 3d pro and have calibrated it (at least, I believe I have...) twice now...what's going on?
Tikigod is offline   Reply With Quote