Thread: Rough weather
View Single Post
Old 03-13-11, 01:25 PM   #10
desirableroasted
Grey Wolf

Location: In the mountains, now. On the edge of the sea before.
Downloads: 47
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest123 View Post
Whats the best way to deal with a zig zagging ship in bad weather? Should I just tail him until things get better?
"Zig-zagging" ships actually run a slow, regular serpentine course, with no speed changes. You can set your watch to them.

So, if you have the patience, you can easily calculate how often the target (and this can be a merchant OR a capital warship) will reach the end of the curve and, for a few seconds, be parallel to its original course.

Knowing that, it just requires positioning.

In rough seas, you probably want an AOB 90 impact shot at 2-3 meters under the waterline (depends on target), just behind the bow. Try to make the shot at 320-350 meters so that the AOB changes little during the torpedo run.

In calmer, but foggy, conditions, run a magnetic under her from just off the stern, say at 250 meters distance.

I find bad-weather shots tricky, so if the target is under 5K tons, I weigh the weather, my position, whether I want to invest in possibly chasing this thing if I just wing it, the time of day. all that. A coastal freighter at nightfall in bad weather is probably getting a pass.