View Single Post
Old 03-20-17, 06:12 AM   #5266
Leoz
Ensign

Downloads: 253
Uploads: 0

A few days later in BE... picked up a small freighter and a medium tanker in heavy seas. Daytime, mid-day off to the south about 9k. Sunny but big waves. Got a basic track coming toward me and then submerged.

Speed indicated they were going 7 knots then 8 knots, back and forth because of the heavy pitching of the ships.

I was having trouble too and they were getting away from me. Broke off did an end-round that lasted about 4 hours.

Got them coming toward me submerged. Still very unsure of the tanker's speed. Looked like it was going to get as close as 700 meters if the track I was composing on the (F5) map was worth anything.

Wanted the tanker now. Did something I never do. Setup for a salvo of 4 Type III G7e 3 degree spread. Hopefully something will hit. I was worried that the speed could be as high as 9 knots at some times. Target speed in these heavy seas like a yo-yo.

Was a little late on the setup. fired at port AOB of 100, 800 meters. Pure luck. Observed 3 hits... tanker went down.

Next day, with not many torpedoes...3 G7a's forward, 1 aft. Still heavy seas. Convoy nearby Going NE. Intercepted. Seas and solution were horrible. Gambit. Didn't think I could get closer. Fired everything I had at 9k. Guestamit solution at a collection of masts and stacks when the heavy waves would let me see them in the periscope.

Observed 1 hit but couldn't see much with the heavy seas and distance.

Got out of there and went home. 21k tons.

New at La Rochelle. When I got back to the port, I didn't know where the welcoming committee dock was, heavy rain, could hear the band off in the distance. Found the dock and parked it.

Next patrol will have a radar detector; properly organised crew. Patrol area AK11...

"Auf gefechtsstationen!"

NYGM

Last edited by Leoz; 03-20-17 at 06:26 AM.
Leoz is offline   Reply With Quote