View Single Post
Old 06-05-18, 09:50 AM   #3
greyrider
Watch Officer

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 0

thank you Stork, if you have any questions, feel free to ask, and i will help, but if you learn the method, and you shoot in the divergent spread, your actually in elite company.
at the begining of the post, i said it was the most popular method used by submarine captains, i have to take that back now, after rereading a passage from clear the bridge.

reexamining this quote from clear the bridge:

“ Ten degrees to go , ” called Fraz . This would be a new one for me . I could get the “ Constant bearing — mark ” off handily , but the “ Fire ” on a separate exposure might be too early or late . I considered firing on generated bearings , most submarines did , but with only two torpedoes , I’d stick with our bow - and - arrow method . “ Constant bearing . ” Jones raised the scope on the generated bearing . I swung it ahead to amidships and called , “ Mark ! ” Jones dunked the scope and raised it immediately . “ Fire ! ” The mainmast had passed the wire , but the after well deck was still on . The torpedo went out with a whine . The second double dip was more accurate , and our last torpedo was on its way for her foremast , its whine fading out in a few seconds . The range was 900 yards , the gyros near 180 , the same as near zero for a bow shot .

"I considered firing on generated bearings , most submarines did"

captain okane is telling us that most us submarines were firing on the generated firing bearing, if thats the case, then they were firing a longitudinal spread, and not a divergent spread, so if thats true what he said, only a very few u.s. skippers fired the constant bearing method with divergent spreads, okane was one of them. he called it his " bow and arrow method".
Her gun crew had guts, however, for from her canting bow came a half dozen well-aimed rounds. How they pointed and trained their gun on that tilting platform will long remain a wonder, and their dedication in keeping up the fire until they went under would be a matter of pride to any nation.

O'Kane, Richard. Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang
greyrider is offline   Reply With Quote