View Single Post
Old 07-03-18, 07:56 PM   #8
Gargamel
Lucky Sailor

Downloads: 81
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by em2nought View Post
I wonder how far below ground they are? From what I've seen on you tube, two Asians with sharp sticks can dig just about anything anyone could ask for.

It seems to me you don't have to bore a rescue shaft, just a drain shaft from a lower elevation, and a safe distance from the boys, to get the water out.

Where is Tony Stark when you need him to build a boy size underwater transport pod for divers to guide in and out of a cave pronto?

They seam to be about 1km down, but under a steep mountain. Getting a rescue shaft down there probably isn't an option, as I don't think they can get any equipment above them. And coming in from the side probably won't work as it too would flood.

And it turns out, none of the kids can swim. So if they attempt the diving route, they first have to learn to swim, then to be comfortable enough with the gear to not panic. But that takes years of training.

I did my open water diving certs in sinkholes in florida, and that was pretty much a cave environment. I was very hesitant to venture into the openings of the caves, as there isn't a "blow the tanks" emergency surface option. not that that is even really a good idea to start with.

They may be stuck there for 4-5 months until the water receeds. They are currently trying to run power and comm lines to them.

Gargamel is offline   Reply With Quote