View Single Post
Old 12-14-10, 02:56 PM   #6
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

I love questions like this. And yeah, you asked for it!

Commercially, I think SCS would be better off with a "strategy" style game like Fleet Command.
Improvements: Logistics.

Personally, I'd like to see a new tactical study-sim like DW. Improvements:
  1. Modular construction intended for the addition of new platforms regularly (great commercial option too; you can have regular expansion packs and charge for them)
  2. Switch from a Submarine-Focus to a Naval-Focus, meaning make Air and Surface warfare just as important as Submarine warfare. This will require updating the physics engine for everything not in the water and upgrading the signals/radar modeling to at least the standard of DW's acoustics modeling.
  3. Mission Editor
    • Allow placement of objects/triggers relative to the position of a platform, instead of just placement on the map.
    • Bring back Player Action doctrine
    • Allow dynamic locations for Formations
    • Allow destination/approach triggers to fire for bullets/shells (would allow "warning shots" to be detected by sim engine)
    • Differentiate sonar/radar EMCON
    • Add a "GoCode" doctrine that would fire a trigger based on player input.
  4. Damage model
    • For ships/subs, include flooding/buoyancy, and fire. Combining this idea with existing system damage and you have the makings of a DC Central crew Station where you can allocate DC resources and set priorities.
    • Generally, factor Armor into damage. Reduce/nullify damage to Armored platforms by non-armor-piercing ammunition.
  5. Multiplayer
  6. Persistent dynamic campaign engine, similar to what is used in Falcon 4.0. (Which will also create the ability to time lapse when not in the 3D world, something badly needed in multiplayer). This is probably the most important improvement that can be made, IMO. Linear campaigns aren't really campaigns at all, and without such an engine multiplayer is limited to engagements that lack realism because of time constraints and lack of continuity.

My wildest fantasy of the "next sim" would be something like Fleet Command that launches something like DW. The idea being that the players could play at the command level to handle deployments and logistics, then move to the tactical level for the fight. A player could even stay behind to provide command and control while the others head to the front lines. Think "massively multiplayer" too--whole wars played out by hundreds of players worldwide.