Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0
Default Sh3Gen 0.8 Tracking Room Edition

Sh3Gen
Campaign enhancement engine for Silent Hunter III
Version 0.8.2

Sh3Gen 0.8 Tracking Room Edition

Because Sh3Gen was completely relying on ingame visualization, and the dire restrictions of the SHIII map station I decided I want to visualize the Sh3Gen data in an external application.

Sh3Gen 0.8 comes with an option to generate data that can be used with GIS (geographical information) systems.

You will need to download another tool to open the data. I have optimized it for usage with the (completely free) TatukGIS Viewer, a great program.

With Sh3Gen and the viewer you can now review the strategic situation like in a real tracking room. The map contains all the data that you are used to from Sh3Gen, plus a lot more through the data panels, and it's much more readable (I think).

Another great advantage is that you can now review your previous patrols, which was one of the things I really wanted to have.

This should be extremely interesting if you have a two monitor setup or a laptop. I haven't tried that yet, but it should open up a whole lot of new possibilities!!

I would expect this is not the final version of the product, but in any case it should already work fine. As of yet I have not created any documentation for the GIS part. Using the GIS initially requires a little bit of learning, but is also extremely powerful. I hope to be able to provide some advanced tips for using the GIS viewer asap.

I hope some of you catch up in the idea, and help each other getting the most out of it. I would like to discuss the concept before this gets the "final" stamp.

Enjoy,

GE

INSTRUCTIONS

It should be really simple.

1. register and download the free TatukGIS Viewer. Alternative link:
http://www.rockware.com/catalog/page...gisviewer.html

2. Download Sh3Gen 0.8.2 from:
www.global-explorer.de/sh3gen_v082.exe
and extract it

You need DotNET Framework 2.0 to run this software.
You can download and install DotNET Framework 2.0 from:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...d-aab15c5e04f5

3. Launch Sh3Gen.exe from the extracted file.

4. Use Sh3Gen as usual until you get to the summary screen

5. After the summary screen a new window pops up which asks you to specify the place where the generator should place the tracking room files. If you click "Export", it will create a new folder and will copy all the required files into it.

6. If you already have the TatukGIS viewer installed, and you have the "Launch" checkbox on, the map opens up instantly. You can launch any map manually by double clicking the corresponding "Sh3Gen Tracking Room.TTKGP" file. But I have set it up so that the map will pop up instantly, and I am finding it myself very convenient to use.

7. The GIS viewer has a multitude of options to change the appearance of the map, which we can discuss later. I have tried to set it up in a way that should be OK for the beginning. There is a lot more you can do with it than just zooming and panning about, and I hope to provide you with tips soon.

If it doesn't seem to do anything, make sure that the "Tracking Room" checkbox under "General Settings" is on (though it should be on by default).

If someone with talent for graphics would like to help me improve the map with little bitmap symbols, that would make my day!

GE

UPDATE 2007-02-23: Sh3Gen v0.8.2 Released

As of today, Sh3Gen Tracking Room is available from www.global-explorer.de. There you will also find the complete documentation for the new Tracking Room Functionality.

OK, that'll do for now - if there is no negative feedback I will finish this over the coming weekend.

UPDATE 2007-03-04: Small bug fix

Fixed a small bug with the handling of player made map markers and ranges that could make Sh3Gen Tracking Room export to fail. If you have downloaded prior to this date you might want to download again (I have replaced the Sh3Gen_v082.exe with a patched file)

Download

Download Sh3Gen 0.8.2 from:
www.global-explorer.de/sh3gen_v082.exe
and extract it

Sh3Gen 0.8.1 can be downloaded here:
Sh3Gen 0.8.1 RC4

Sh3Gen 0.8.0 can be downloaded here:
www.global-explorer.de/sh3gen080.exe

Dont forget that you need to download the viewer too!
TatukGIS Viewer

Test data

If you want to see some test data first, without using Sh3Gen, or if you have trouble running it, I am offering test datasets here:

www.global-explorer.de/Sh3Gen081TestData.exe

www.global-explorer.de/Sh3Gen080TestData.exe

(you still need the viewer of course)

SCREENSHOTS

Screenshot of Sh3Gen TR w. laptop setup ( courtesy of bert8for3 )

Last edited by GlobalExplorer; 10-25-08 at 06:29 PM.
GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote