View Single Post
Old 12-19-16, 10:29 AM   #38
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

I think you guys are barking up the wrong tree in thinking huge files make the reason why JSGME causes corruption in changing stock game files. Which moots the idea of testing JSGME with LAA and seeing if it does any better. I think you'll be wasting your time. It's nothing more than modders not following good modding techniques.

I just ran a little test. A 64Kb, JSGME compatible modification that only has two folders changed containing 6 total files. I copied the two FOTRS TLowRes/tex/German.dds-remove and German_m.dds-remove to my mod. I also copied from FOTRS..... TNormal/tex/German.dds-remove and German_m.dds-remove along with the new images it uses of the German flags (they contain the German Swastika)....German.dds and German_m.dds

I compared my present game files through JSGME "Compare Snapshot" to my original game files, all was in order. I ran the game with the test mod only. I viewed the newly changed German flags in the games Museum for the German ships, then exited the game. I deactivated the test mod, then ran the Compare feature again. The results were two files REMOVED. Yep, the two TNormal/tex/German.dds and its partner the German_m.dds were removed from the stock game.

I've had stools bigger than a 64Kb file!! Yet, this stock game corruption occurs with a very small file size.

But here's the interesting thing.....The two TLowRes/tex/German.dds files were intact and back where they belong after the "-remove" modification was used on them! What's the difference???

The difference is the FOTRS modder used replacement images in his mod of the same name that he also used the "-remove" flag for. There are no replacement images in the TLowRes/tex folder....there are in the TNormal/tex folder.

In this case, the modder simply needed to replace the original images with the Swastika images, using the same naming scheme as the stock game, and leave out the "-remove" files from the same folder. JSGME doesn't know what your trying to do if one pair of files make changes to the original, yet another pair ask for you to remove them?!?

Modder error, nothing more.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"

Last edited by CapnScurvy; 12-19-16 at 11:02 AM.
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote