View Single Post
Old 01-01-18, 08:12 PM   #5670
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Speaking of which yyzBegonia, do you happen to know what approximate dates the IJN "blanked" the sides of their DD (and other vessels), removing the kana for "anonimity"?
OH MY GOSH!!! You reminded me that I haven't actually did research at this point before!! To be honest, I was basically relying on those blue prints, which show that those Katakana names remained until the late-war peirod (44-45). However, after you remind me about this issue I managed to search for documents, unfortunately, no documents relate to this point was found. Then I tried to search for historical photos, which straightforwardly reveal the fact.
Then, I found something astonishing: The side names were retained mainly in the pre-Pearl Harbour period, and after the outbreak of Pacific War, most of the IJN DDs had been removed their side names!
The latest photo I could find which show the side-name was still existed is this one:

IJN Akizuki, circa May 1942. She still remained her side-name at that moment.

Another Akizuki-class destroyer, Hatsuzuki, circa 1942. As you can see her side-name had been removed.

For all the IJN DDs' photos I could find after 1943, they just removed the side-names.

Harusame (Shiratsuyu-class) in 1943.

Kiyoshimo (Yugumo-class), 1944

Fubuki-class destroyers Ayanami (left) and Shikinami (right), photo taken time unknown. But you can see the side-name of Ayanami had been removed. Just let you know, Ayanami was sunk on 15 Novemeber, 1942 in the Second Naval Battle of Guadalcanal. The removal of Kanas on this ship would no later than that date .

Last edited by yyzBegonia; 01-02-18 at 03:15 AM.
yyzBegonia is offline   Reply With Quote