View Single Post
Old 12-31-17, 08:14 PM   #5664
yyzBegonia
Gunner

Downloads: 129
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnScurvy View Post
A while back, a member posted this find. The FOTRS Hatsuharu was using the wrong model. I've been able to change the Hatsuharu model to look like this:

Compared to the ONI image:

At the same time, I have the Shiratsuyu take on this "look":

Which follows this image of an Shiratsuyu DD:

In comparison of the two destroyers, the Hatsuharu has a third rear "main" gun battery where the Shiratsuyu does not. The Shiratsuyu has a "Flakgun" platform before the Command Bridge and several other AA gun installations, where the Hatsuharu does not.

These changes to the Hatsuharu and Shiratsuyu will be in the next release....along with their Torpedo firing capabilities.
That seems GREAT! However there is a small misunderstanding I have to point out: the Hatsuharu-class and Shiratsuyu-class is very similar, even at that rear single-mount turret. The Shiratsuyu-class initially also has that turret, just same as the Hatsuharu.

This is the IJN Yudachi, a Shiratsuyu-class destroyer. You can see she also have the third rear main gun.

The confusion is because some of the ships in this class which survive to the late war were modified to remove the single-mount turret to add another flak platform. This modification is common in late-war IJN detroyers, not only in Shiratsuyu-class but also includes Hatsuharu-class and Kagero-class. For instance, your given example is IJN Shigure (Shiratsuyu-class), she survived until Jan 1945 so she got the flak-platform modification:

As for Hatsuharu-class, they were same as Shiratsuyu-class: Initially they have the third rear gun, but they also been modified to remove that turret in late war period.

In summary, the difference between Shiratsuyu and Hatsuharu is not depends the third rear-gun. The existence of it or not is only a symbol of different period.

Last edited by yyzBegonia; 12-31-17 at 09:09 PM.
yyzBegonia is offline   Reply With Quote