View Single Post
Old 02-19-13, 01:32 AM   #53
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
You have to remember that the Air Force went into the 1960s with the same mindset they had from the '50s. The mission they trained for was stopping Soviet bombers from attacking the United States. Fast, unmaneuverable airplanes armed with missiles were needed to stop those high-altitude bombers, and fighter combat was considered to be a thing of the past. They went into Vietnam thinking that they would be able to stand off and shoot missiles. They didn't envision actual dogfights, which have a habit of slowing down to 500 knots or so, and require turning.
Sounds tragically familiar. I believe our boffins considered scrapping the whole thing at one point, deciding that future wars would be fought between ICBMs and that there would be no use for aircraft.
In a war against the Soviet Union they may have had a point, but they forgot the rest of the world.

EDIT: To put a bit more meat on the bones of my comment, the 1957 Defence White Paper is what I refer to, although it doesn't mention the removal of the RAF (I think such things would have caused an uproar) it shows the decision to scale back interceptors in favour of SAM launchers, the Frightening only scraped through because it was too far advanced in planning to be worth stopping.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote