View Single Post
Old 10-06-16, 07:43 AM   #39
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlight View Post
This^ is what is putting me off Linux cinnamon, I started with ms dos and upgraded to win 95 and now I'm using win 7, I'm not going to take a step backwards and re-learn console commands all over again.
When this Win7 operating system has reached its sell by date my time on the internet will be over, it was great while it lasted but MS has stepped over the line with Win 10 and its privacy data theft, goodbye Microsoft and good riddance.
ML
To be fair, the ordinary surfer and email writer, text editor, photo manipulator, is unlikely to hit troubles soon in Linux.

However, if you want to tailor your rig for for exmaple games, specially tune both to get best performance, then the Cinnamon GUI soon leaves you behind. Or to bind in hardware that is not automatically recognised.

Techncial nalfunctions also cna happen. They seem to happen not as frequently as under windows, which even has windows updates adding to these messes , but it cna happen, or may result from user fault.

I have had two or three such issues over this year. without forums tellling me which magical spells to use, I would have been hopelessly lost. NO WAY. Or yo start to study Linux like you needed to study DOS 25 years ago. And then collect some years of experience. And here is where the problem starts again.

Just to be understood correctly - I still recommend to switch over to Linux. I only say that while many things are better indeed, some things are worse. You need to forsee the chance for this to happen. For myself, I know that I will never know Lnux as good as I now know Wndows in various incarnations until W7. Its simply a time - and remaining years -, issue. Plus with 50 years you are no longer that hot for new tech stuff anymore like you were when you were 16, 20, 25. Yoo start to appreciate known routines and comfort over innovation. LOL

That I start gaming under Linux, I do not expect within the coming years, probably never in my lifespan. Too many of the sim titles I am after, do not and will never run under Linux. Trying to get them working in a VM has its own implicit complications, and also risks. Security risks also are involved with using WINE. Its not as easy going as it sounds at first description. I do not check out for no reason how Assetto Corsa for example runs on PS4, although I have it and a wheel for PC. I look for non-Linux altenratives to gaming on PC. Mobiles hardly can be the way , although there are some very good games out there indeed. But too few. With some other titles I am lost both on consoles or under Linux. Steel Beasts. FSX/P3D+PMDG. Things like that.