Thread: Type IX/D2
View Single Post
Old 04-03-09, 08:19 PM   #43
Torplexed
Let's Sink Sumptin' !

Downloads: 43
Uploads: 0

I don't think anyone is implying that fleet boats would have done any better than U-Boats in the Battle of the Atlantic. However, as Rockin Robbins has stated the battle was probably not winnable with submarines...certainly not with conventional submarines. Even if the vaunted Type XXI had it become operational sooner it would have found itself hounded by Allied weapons in the development pipeline like MAD (magnetic anomaly detection gear) sonabouys, dipping sonar from helicopters, better homing torpedoes, etc.

I concede the Germans were ahead in rockets, missiles and jets. However, had they somehow by some miracle won the war they doubtless would have raided and copied Allied technology in areas like ASW, electronic warfare, amphibious techniques, strategic bombers, aircraft carrier technology and the atomic program where the western allies were miles ahead of them. To the victor go the spoils.

Quote:
The allies were stunned by the german superior technollogy. When the americans captured U-505, they knew they were far behind. You know I'm right!
If it was so stunningly superior how the hell did U-505 get blasted to the surface and captured intact by these backwards Americans? Shouldn't it have been the other way around?

Last edited by Torplexed; 04-03-09 at 08:29 PM.
Torplexed is offline   Reply With Quote