View Single Post
Old 09-09-17, 06:20 AM   #7
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

First, there is malware targetting Linux. It is growing both in quality and quantity.

Second, the currently bigger concern indeed is Windows. But like it is considered to be polite to not sneeze your infleuntia virus into other people's faces, but turn away, it is nice if you do not help to spread malware damaging other people even you yourself stay unharmed.

Mind you, probably most severs feeding stuff to Windows, are running under Linux. Also mind you, that the bigger a network, the greater the chance that single Linux units may contact and link up to Windows units, it can also happen in company networks.

And in my personal case, i occasionally use USB sticks to transfer something from my Windows to my Linux machine, a scan for example. I am well-advised to scan for malware on BOTH machines. My main concern is - for statistical reasons - not Linux malware, but Windows malware. And that I can catch up with Linux as well.

As I said, total security is an illusion. But you can push chances in your favour. Technical preparation s one important thing - behaviour is the other important thing.

And once again: Linux malware is growing both in raffinesse and quantity. To say that Linux is not being hunted, is a false statement. It just happens not as often as under Mac or Windows. We can be thankful that Linux is not much used in the private user sphere, so this will continue to grow slowly into a major problem only, not fast. But growing it will. After all, Linux is just code - and like every code it can be attacked.

Some years they said that Tor is "safe". There is reason to assume that the NSA has successfully comprimised it, they say since two years or so. Once Android was said to be safe. When it became much unsafer due to growing popularity and being atacked more often, they said the Google repository is safe. Now even the Google appstore is compromised.

Every code and software can be attacked. We do not think in absoluta when saying "comouter security". We should think in probabilities only. So my advise: shift the chances in your favour a bit.

Regarding Wine, that one is a risk, that simple. In all books I looked into and stumbled over a chapter on Wine in the bookshop, the authors recommended to not use it. It shares the same vulnerabilities with Windows. And if you use Windows in a virtual machine, be careful with any datafiles you may extract fromt hat session on a USB stick, photos aor working project files. The virtual machine may collapse after you shut down the computer, the system may be unharmed. But the data on your stick may be compromised.