View Single Post
Old 11-28-07, 12:42 PM   #25
FERdeBOER
XO

Downloads: 22
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
AI is always going to have its limitations, even with quality doctrines controlling it. The general rule for SP is that challenge and dynamics are opposing factors. To create a serious threat for the player, you have to set up the mission to increase the likelihood of detection, put the platform up against its natural enemies, and/or put the platform at a tactical disadvantage against its enemies. By making the mission dynamic, the player is able to dictate part of the tactical picture because the player can think ahead, plan, and adapt. The player is also going to win in a "fair fight" by virtue of better detection and engagement capability.
Of course fighting aginst a human is allways better, and in single player, a good mission is great... but only a few times, then You know all You need about the scenario You will not play it anymore (except if you really love it). But the point is to find a way to create an scenario (or better, a campaign) so dynamic that can be played many times, even by its creator.

I'm talking as submarine (Akula) player:
Is by far more dificult to design, but I think a dynamic mission can be challenge without overwelming the player or putting him in disadvantage. The point is that only the uncertainy of who, where and how many enemies are out there puts you in a little disadvantage. Also the fact that you have to choose a variety of weapons because you don't know what will you need untill the mission message arrives, or that you may have to choose different ways to reach one location, gives the mission a good challenge.
Also the uncertainy of knowing that maybe that enemy sub you found last time can be close... or maybe is at 20 miles... or maybe it isn't this time... or maybe it is, but this time the mission of that submarine is other than killing you... maybe an ally this time? :hmm:

It will be hard, VERY hard, but a good dynamic scenario will be great

(I'm going now to play now those Bill scenarios )

edit: what does RSBs and DLs means? Sorry, I'm not English...