View Single Post
Old 11-27-07, 06:15 PM   #22
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkShot
So, are the only serious mission/hardcore players all playing DW MP?

DW is regarded to have better general characteristics than SCXIIc?

SP is regarded as no way to create really and interesting/challenging scenarios?

That's what I am getting from reading between the lines. I must say that I have gone through 30-50 SC 1.08 scenarios and I have generally been dissappointed with play and challenge. Thus, my inclination that despite having a written a scenario or two that I could do, at least, as well if not better.
AI is always going to have its limitations, even with quality doctrines controlling it. The general rule for SP is that challenge and dynamics are opposing factors. To create a serious threat for the player, you have to set up the mission to increase the likelihood of detection, put the platform up against its natural enemies, and/or put the platform at a tactical disadvantage against its enemies. By making the mission dynamic, the player is able to dictate part of the tactical picture because the player can think ahead, plan, and adapt. The player is also going to win in a "fair fight" by virtue of better detection and engagement capability.

So if you're looking for a dynamic fight that is also challenging, your best bet is human opposition in the context of a rather open-ended MP scenario.

SP is still good for creating specific scenarios, though. There's nothing wrong with thinking up new situations (or hearing about real life ones) and seeing how they would play out.