View Single Post
Old 05-20-08, 10:04 AM   #1
horsa
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 44
Uploads: 3

Default [REL-UBM] Playable USS Fletcher Destroyer

Excited by the playable surface conversions of Xantro and Mikhayl, I set about attempting a conversion to see how easy or difficult the process was. The aim was to then create a “mugs guide” based on my experiences to make the techniques as accessible as possible to as large a number of people as possible. For my learning curve I chose USS Brooklyn and (later) USS Fletcher.

I need to point out that prior to the start I was unfamiliar with both the S3D editor and the workings of SH4 in general ( which I have never really played ).

Currently ( at 2+ weeks) I’m increasingly running into problems which are taking me too long to sort out, so I’m hopefully going to speed up the process by releasing this early beta. My hope is that others will look at it and suggest where changes/corrections can be made. I can then incorporate this extra knowledge into the “mug’s guide”

To be fair it’s difficult to say exactly when these conversions are “complete”. Even the conversions of Xantro and Mikhayl ( and later Rene) go only so far. In a sense they are all “beta”.

Personally I believe these playables are a whole new ball game for SH4. However I also believe they will never be the complete item. There are, IMHO, too many problems and limitations to ultimately make this the complete“ New DC2” or the “New Whatever” . However , they are a lot of fun, and I believe that with further determined and ingenious modding, they could offer a reasonable surface experience for certain types of operation. Their potential will perhaps be best realized in multiplay.

So here it is for what it is worth – a playable Fletcher .

UPDATED TO 1.1 / 21 May 08
DOWNLOAD V 1.1
FROM http://www.mediafire.com/?3xdmcyxmcjz

Fixed Smoke and "floating WO"

From the README

Quote:
WHAT IT DOES

Looks like a Fletcher in all its SH4 glory ( Model and textures)
Responds to telegraph and rudder.
Has a mannable single 5inch turret and a mannable AA gun position.
AI main guns/AA guns respond to targets.
Has “watch” position in the Bridge with free view camera.
Selectable targets with binocs.
Wake trail and turning props.
Is playable in :-
Some missions - Battle of Midway ( Revised ) , Photo Reconnaisance
Patrols - Philippines
Campaign. ( although the AI of other ships is so poor I’m not sure this is much of an experience )
This ship and the AI ships open fire at longer ranges (W4lt3r fix)

WHAT IT DOESN’T DO OR DOESN’T HAVE

Have sensible damage response. It neither takes damage like it should, nor has anything resembling damage control.
No flag.
No bow wake.
No smoke
No dappled water on the hull.
No ability to release depth charges.
I’ve not really done much with the crew, although there are figures manning the decks and guns, and acting kind of like they should be there.
One of the crew ( the WO I think) is suspended in mid air
Interior view – it’s still a sub
Values for turret movements need adjusting
Doesn’t fire torpedoes like a destroyer ( they are spawned at 0 deg )

Probably lots of other things

Acknowledgements

Mikhayl – Huge credit for the Clemson which was the template for this conversion . Also for the detailed tutorials he has made and the help and advice he has given freely.

Skwasjer – for the absolutely essential S3D editor
JScones - for the incredibly useful JSGME

Xantro – likewise for his help and advice and the example of the Graf Spee.
W4lt3r – The range fix files, and also his tips and advice.

All the many folk who responded to my pleas for help on the forums

"Legal" thingie

You can mod it freely without prior permission, roll it about the floor playfully, cook it carefully over a slow gas oven or give it away to your grannie if you want, but you’ll not be my friend if you release a better version of it and don’t mention that I had some input into its creation. It might be a good idea to mention Mikhayl’s name as well.

Everything used at your own risk etc

Last edited by horsa; 05-21-08 at 07:28 AM.
horsa is offline   Reply With Quote