View Single Post
Old 06-19-17, 02:24 PM   #10
greyrider
Watch Officer

Downloads: 237
Uploads: 0

thats an interesting question modelrrfan, i think i know the answer for you and so i will try and explain it to you.

"When using the front tubes, manual targeting work great. Put in speed, AOB, but do not do range, since this seems to
give me so really riducules angle, usually well after the target. But when use the rear tubes, put in speed, AOB, but
do not do range. When look at the TDC,
still show firing the front tubes"

bow torpedoes

this is because the tdc still thinks your shooting the bow tubes, most times you get a message saying, "cannot compute solution
for stern tubes" and thats because the torpedo cannot make the angle from the orientation of the bow tubes in 200 yards as default settings have it,
even if you have a stern tube selected.

you have to orient the tdc to understand that your shooting from the stern, its like zeroing your weapon.

look at the first picture, thats the default look at the periscope and dials when the game starts.

now look at the own ship dial, thats the submarine, the inner numbers is the sub's relative bearing, in this case zero, the 9 on the outer dial means 90 degrees
or the sub's true bearing.

next look above it to the target dial, its inner number is 0, thats the relative course of the target in relation to the submarine, and its outer number is its true course.

so if you were to fire a torpedo now, the torpedo would go straight out from the bow tube with no gyro angle traveling down submarines zero degree bearing until it strikes the target.

the red arrows on the dials show the track of the torpedo. own ship dial shows the torpedo coming from the bow

stern torpedoes

in the second pic, the tdc is oriented to the stern torpedo, u do this by first selecting a stern torpedo, rotate the periscope to 180 degrees, then click
the attack tool's range button, select a range, in this pic i set range a 2000 yds, but any range arming distance or more is good, then send range and bearing to the tdc.
the tdc now knows from what direction your shooting from, you sent 180 degrees , its always 180 degrees to zero the tdc for stern operations.

on the dials, on own ship, the sub still points to zero, its relative bearing and 90 its true course.
the red arrows show the tdc orientation and the torpedoes track going right thru 180 of the sub toward the target, its true course is 90
and relative course to submarine at zero.

stern torpedo track is 180 from the bow.

so now after zeroing the tdc, if you want to add the targets actual bearing, speed and aob, ranging for it, your results should be as good as they are when your shooting from the bow.

the third pic just shows the torpedo leaving the sub flawlessly, and going out at 180 relative to sub with no gyro.

hope its help you modelrrfan, also , its a trade secret so keep it under your hat okay?
Her gun crew had guts, however, for from her canting bow came a half dozen well-aimed rounds. How they pointed and trained their gun on that tilting platform will long remain a wonder, and their dedication in keeping up the fire until they went under would be a matter of pride to any nation.

O'Kane, Richard. Clear the Bridge!: The War Patrols of the U.S.S. Tang

Last edited by greyrider; 06-20-17 at 06:23 AM.
greyrider is offline   Reply With Quote