View Single Post
Old 04-27-09, 06:35 PM   #25
Paul Riley
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 163
Uploads: 0

13th October 1942
08:40

While heading SSE through BD26 onto our final leg east for home a Light Cruiser was spotted on the Western horizon,heading our way . He must have picked us up on radar as no radio transmissions of any kind were made in that area,in fact I maintain radio silence as much as possible on my patrols,unless in emergencies etc.I suspect he may have been attached to a local convoy passing in the area or may have been alerted by our recent sinking of a C3 nearby,but cannot be sure.
This is the first time I have actively been detected by a lone warship,without them having no prior reason to know we were there.
I immediately ordered an emergency dive as I saw him increasing speed in our direction,and when we were under made a sharp turn in his direction,in an attempt to undercut his DC (we could'nt be certain if he did in fact carry any DCs) run,which of course didnt come,in fact we werent even pinged at all
We carried on at 100m/4kts until I decided to surface after about 1.5hrs submerged.There were no visual or sound contact in the area.We made it.
I couldnt tell what type of cruiser it was from the head on view,but a quick glance at the rec.manual identified him as a probable Fiji Class of about 10,000t.I would have loved a shot at him,if only we had some spare torpedoes

That is all for tonight's action for me,see you tomorrow

Last edited by Paul Riley; 04-28-09 at 03:44 AM.
Paul Riley is offline   Reply With Quote