View Single Post
Old 09-02-13, 07:05 AM   #28
sublynx
Sea Lord

Location: In the conning tower of my VIIC scanning the sea through the periscope
Downloads: 173
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGN1 View Post
I'm a bit surprised. Usually people here always ask for realism, but it seems no one cares about the extremely unrealistic 'perfect' spy-log.

I'm wondering whether the mod is too difficult to install or too difficult to use
I think this mod is a dream come true to a player who likes to get a more realistic AI intelligence and it brings a very welcome sense of uncertainty to the game. The mod realises the fact that not knowing what is happening is the key to any sense of real suspense.

However I haven't yet tried it for two reasons: one is that my SH3 is already a very complicated mod soup with some tweaks to the files that are unique to my system. Changing the system would need a lot of time and careful work and there would be risk that I wouldn't be able to do it properly as I make many careless mistakes when I need to be extra careful and pay attention to noticing all the different steps and pasting everything to the right places.

The other reason is my confusion about how I would like the game to react to overclaiming.

I read a book about U-564's patrol in 1942 and the book said that Suhren (the commander) claimed 7 ships and 2 damaged in his report. In reality he only sank 5 ships and the claimed damaged ships were not hit at all. I believe overclaiming was really rampant and I also believe that BdU accepted many false claims. For a myriad of reasons there were many good reasons to believe that more damage was caused than what actually was.

An example of this would be here:

http://www.uboatarchive.net/KTB154-5.htm

Kusch claimed and BdU acccepted 3 sunken, 3 damaged, but in reality the results were 1 sunken and 2 damaged.

To relive history there would also need to be a random chance of getting BdU to accept some ships to my sunken list even when I really didn't sink the ship. But on the other hand I already sink a lot more ships than what would be possible if the game was more realistic.

So in conclusion I think this mod is at the same time one of the best things that has ever been modded into SH3 but also way ahead of its time. We would need a more difficult, more realistic simulation to get the full benefits of this mod.

Don't get me wrong, though. I love the idea and will definitely try this as soon as I get my mod soup to a more stable condition. I'm amazed what you guys with programming skills can do with the game, so thanks LGN1
sublynx is offline   Reply With Quote