View Single Post
Old 09-15-05, 07:58 PM   #282
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblow
Great mod. Can tell a lot of work went into it. Much props and I'm throughly enjoying it.

You asked for feedback. You might want to reconsider the new AI minimum depths for ASW torps (helo drops, ASROCs, etc). I was able to exploit it in my sub, by emergency blowing to the surface everytime I got a helo-dropped torp that I couldn't evade. Shot to the surface, while the torps circled below unable to reach me. When they finally went into search mode, dropped back down to speed away, until they reaquired, then rinse and repeat. Worked every time against he Mk46s
Its good to prevent friendly fire, but couldn't possibly be exploited against Stallion or SS-n-27-ASW weps.
db
Well, now I see your problem. OK, we'll check this
The AI torpedos ceiling is modified ONLY if there are surface targets in vicinity. If you are a lonely sub in the middle of an ocean, they will get you on the surface with no problems. If there are surface tagrets in proximity (that torpedo could detect) then ceiling is changed and then you can escape by surfacing.

(so if there were NO surface targets close when you experienced this, then you found a bug! it shouldn't work this way then)

I could do this other way and order to always attack a sub whereever it is, and always avoid surface. I chosed to make it more realistic, and if there are surface targets close you can escape to the surface, as I assume than responsible human operator would NOT set torpedo ceiling up to the surface is there are innocent civilian or own surfaces close. If the sub surfaces... well somebody will take care of him in most cases with some guns or missiles :-). He can't dive down again untill the torpedo is circling below, in most cases.
If there is no surface ships in proximity or the torpedo will be dropped in a way that it will not see other targets than the sub (so in direction away from the surface target) the ceiling will be not affected and surfacing will not help. Also settings of human player torps are not affected, human player can risk and set ceiling to whatever value he wants, it's his responsibility. I hope I cleared this a little.
If it turns on that the doctrine behaviour can in fact be exploited by players too much (so they will be escaping by surfacing close to civilian targets - but this is IMO realistic way to escape, who would set his SUBROC's ceiling to surface when they are civilians or friendlies on the surface ?) then I will change the conditions and escape by surfacing will be not possible in any situation. It's possible and very easy, I only tried to add some realism to AI actions, but if this not work good and is too easy to exploit - I will change it!

P.S. Luftwolf, it was intended by me to be this way - that you CAN escape by surfacing sometimes - if there are surface targets close .
I will test it further checking how easy it's to exploit this against AI and can change it to always attact sub if needed.
Well, at least Akula drivers now can attack with SUBROCs enemy subs in proximity of civilian ships - they know that torps will be avoiding them (in 95%). Before they couldn't because they would kill civilian most likely .

Cheers!
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote