View Single Post
Old 10-16-17, 10:38 AM   #5406
CapnScurvy
Admiral

Downloads: 474
Uploads: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by torpedobait
The radar does not come on. There is no sweep. There is no blip for a known target. Both radar screens are dead and the scopes' on/off switches are not functional. The only time the periscope radar works as advertised is in the Single Mission version.
It's been my experience that when starting a "new" Campaign after January 1, 1945, the game provides the proper equipment.....an ST Radar is in working condition and equipped on any boat that's expected to have it (all but the S-Class). As you've reported, so does a single mission that is set up to have the sub updated to the correct late war date of play. This would indicate the issue isn't in the equipment setup, or the dates its expected to start, but with the Campaign game starting from a point before the equipment comes into being, then it loses tract of the dates after the equipment comes into effect......not providing it at all. Again, the issue would seem to be how the game "saves" itself......an issue we don't have access to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I'm going to try a few experiments on my two installs here torpedobait, and see what I come up with, with the discrepancies. I'm thinking its "dates", which CapnScurvy alludes to. I'll look at the dates of availability of the radar, and start a new campaign after that date, and see what it does, and I'll do the single missions a few more times. You haven't had the periscope radar fail in the SingleMission, especially after diving?

Like the Capn says, I think the game loses "count" somewhere along the way in the game, and the further you go in the game continuously, the worse it gets, and probably each "Save" game contributes to it...
This whole issue has been with us since day one with the game. We've overlooked not getting proper equipment changes (Radar/Sonar updates, Deck Gun upgrades....changing from stern to bow positions etc.) because once we return to base (some time later), the game seems to "find" itself and the expected upgrades are in-play......all is "correct with the world", so we simply move on with the game.

As I've said, I think there's something stinking with how the game keeps saved games and keeps tract of time. This may be fixable by us, or it may require us to use a workaround to only play a Campaign for a short period of time. Realizing the game can't keep tract beyond a certain period of time before it loses itself.

The HMS Shannon vs. USS Chesapeake outside Boston Harbor June 1, 1813

USS Chesapeake Captain James Lawrence lay mortally wounded...
Quote:
.."tell the men to fire faster, fight 'till she sinks,..boys don't give up the ship!"
CapnScurvy is offline   Reply With Quote