View Single Post
Old 02-19-22, 01:20 AM   #4
Kapitan
Sub Test Pilot

Downloads: 68
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcyon View Post
As usual, top notch informative response. The things you pointed out make sense, especially the software upgrade (in real life).

I don't know how much of that the RA mod simulated, but it sounds like the Virginia is just a better, quieter version of the 688i with more sensitive sonar, even though it's slower.
In lineage the Virginia is the direct replacement to the 688, and for that reason they use what we term as COST boats (Commercial Off Shelf Technology).
With so many 688s in service its has meant the hardware and software is continually upgraded at a higher pace than the seawolf, thus because of this the cost of using this system is cheaper over all. (same in any production process)

This has a direct result on the build and the systems put inside her, the seawolf program was hugely expensive hence why theres only 3 not even the USN could afford post cold war to produce such a submarine.
With the 688 needing replacement the direct driver behind the product was cost.

Seawolf in 1997 cost $3bn per boat, to compare to todays prices $1.69 is what that $1 value was in 1997 so the seawolf if she was built today would be a $5bn boat.
The Virginia is costing $2.8bn per boat right now and this is achieved by using the evolutionary sonar systems from the 688s, and also a lesser grade steel (HY80 as opposed to HY100).
Virginia also incorporates some of the lessons from seawolf such as the modified fin for example.

I cannot comment on top speed or diving capability but what I can say is the pumpjet system is slightly more inefficient than a traditional scewback screw, the advantage though is less rotation v speed which ultimately means a quieter boat over all.

Pumpjet dates back to the 1970's and it was the Royal navy that first deployed them, it uses a system of stators and rotors with a shroud to create thrust, traditional screws used 7 blades the rotor will use 11 blades hence slower rotation to achieve greater speed with less RPM.

The other noticeable advantage is the power output of the reactor, the 688 uses a 6th gen reactor different to seawolf and gives out 165mw in power where as seawolf gives out around 43mw of power from its 6th gen reactor the Virginia with its 9th gen reactor 210mw.

This shows just how much power the hotel load is onboard, it also shows limitations in the design, the type 45 DDG has power problems because its hotel load is always in the high 90%s hence why they have issues but with PIP upgrades that will bring it down to around the 70 mark.
The reason why Seawolf even with a 6th gen reactor only uses 43mw is because it doesn't have to run a VLS system and its associated sub systems.

The Virginia is future proof she has a lot of spare capacity to take future technology both hardware and software.

Overall the modder who makes RA has taken all the above into account, which is why you have the figures above.
In terms of realism I would say the RA mod is about 65-70% accurate, naturally the true figures are classified.

Find out about Museum Ships here: https://www.museumships.us/

Flickr for all my pictures: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131313936@N03/

Navy general board articles: https://www.navygeneralboard.com/author/aegis/
Kapitan is offline   Reply With Quote