View Single Post
Old 04-14-07, 03:00 PM   #32
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Quote:
The aspect ratio approach outlined above takes the range into account indirectly - since the apparent mast height also changes with range like the apparent length, by using the ratios of the two you don't need to actually determine or know the range to solve for AOB - you only need the apparent height and apparent length (to compare against the known values from the recognition manual or pre-determined aspect ratios from a chart), and both of those can be obtained from the 'scope
Exactly that

As I had previously stated
Quote:
because what you can see of the ship’s height remains constantly proportional (The mast) at any given distance, while the length you can see will change also proportionally depending on the AOB, you can read from your scope or TBT the new Aspect Ratio the ship shows you, and by comparing it with the standard aspect ratio at 90º, get the AOB directly
, so the range is irrelevant.

In the german method indicated by WernerSobe you must have at least one range readout, otherwise you have nothing because the same ship can f.e. extend 24 scope marks in horizontal at 90º AOB at 2000 yards or at 45º AOB at 1200 yards (Numbers not calculated precisely ). With my method that's not needed at all.