View Single Post
Old 05-27-16, 10:16 AM   #1552
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

27th May 1916

Western Front

Battle of Verdun: French take trenches south-west of Mort Homme.

Southern Front

Austrians take Monte Moschicce (north of Asiago) by storm.

Asiatic and Egyptian Theatres

Russian troops repel an Ottoman attack from Mosul, Iraq with the use of bayonets and a cavalry charge.

Naval

German submarine SM UC-3 hits a mine and sinks off the coast of Belgium with all hands. It was responsible for sinking 22 ships.

Political, etc.

Declaration of M. Sazonov on the alliance and Russian aims.

Speech by President Wilson on the War. Wilson administration gives up plans to make the U.S. Navy second in the world behind Britain, as it would cost too much.

Death of General Gallieni.

Ship Losses:

Lincairn (United Kingdom) The collier struck a mine laid by UC 10 (Alfred Nitzsche) and sank in the North Sea 8 nautical miles (15 km) north by east of the Shipwash Lightship ( United Kingdom) (52°08′N 1°53′E). Her crew survived.
Mar Terso (Italy) The cargo ship was sunk in the Mediterranean Sea off the Balearic Islands, Spain (39°08′N 5°02′E) by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
Moravia (Italy) The cargo ship was torpedoed and sunk in the Mediterranean Sea.
Trunkby (United Kingdom) The collier was shelled and sunk in the Mediterranean Sea 50 nautical miles (93 km) south by east of Port Mahon, Spain by SM U-39 ( Kaiserliche Marine). Her crew survived.
SM UC-3 (Kaiserliche Marine) The Type UC I submarine struck a mine and sank in the North Sea off Zeebrugge, West Flanders, Belgium with the loss of all eighteen crew.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote