Old 07-10-17, 05:34 PM   #21
Shadriss
A-ganger

Downloads: 89
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller1 View Post
Spoken like a true boomer sailor...
I made twelve deployments up north and yes, they really might employ active. Especially during a baffle clear...
Now though, with better sensors afforded to them, no so much.

But as you know, active is not the 'God like' sensor most people think it is...

FTCS(SS/SW)
1980-2004

Oh, I was also qualified Sonar Sup....
Oh, I did a little Fast boat time, Senior. Granted no deployments, but I got to see a little of the other side. Your point about using active for baffle clears is well made, but that certainly isn't what's going on in game terms here, which is the original question I think. And you are certainly right about the limitations of active as well - not remotely the god-like sensor games make it out to be. In another time and place, I would lament about the misinformation at length, but yeah...

As to Kapitan's post, yes, a nice write-up. The OSCAR won't be vanishing anytime soon, but at least initial replacement units are making it's way into the fleet in the form of the SEVERODVINSK SSGN. Not many in service, and they are some... interesting boats, shall we say... but they are capable. The TYPHOONs are all but out of service and have been for some time, so that fleet aspect is basically being covered by the DELTA IIIs and IVs, though they've got help coming in the form of the DOLGORUKY SSBN that's hit the fleet in the last few years as well. AKULA II isn't going anywhere anytime soon either... it's still the best attack boat they have, and they have been concentrating more on the strategic mission than ever before, so it's not likely to change soon.

They're still behind, but the gap gets closer all the time.
IMF PACNORWEST
USS ALASKA (SSBN-732 GOLD)
USS ALABAMA (SSBN-731 GOLD)
NAVAL OCEAN PROCESSING FACILITY, WHIDBEY ISLAND
USS TENNESSEE (SSBN-734 GOLD)
Shadriss is offline   Reply With Quote