View Single Post
Old 11-24-18, 11:22 AM   #8
HerrRitter
Watch

Downloads: 39
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifi View Post
I don’t know how old is the one in this movie, but they were young indeed.
In the original Das Boot book by Lothar Buchheim the kaleun was around 30 if i recall well, but in the movie the actor seemed more around 40...

But some as Lehmann were younger (28 in 1939)
Prien was 31 in 1939...
As the war was going on, and with the losses, the olders were gone (sunk) and the recruitment was among young blood i believe

Yes, I understand that. Yet, the captain in the original movie was one of the "Old Guard" Indeed, he is called "Der Alte" (the Old Man) by his crew, and considers most of them to be just boys. According to the storyline, the Kapitanleutnent is 31 years old, as you have pointed out. The chief is supposed to be 27 years old.

Buchheim, who wrote the book, was disappointed with the movie (which was intended to be an anti-war movie). But before I knew anything about Buchheim's intentions, I recognized it as an anti-war film ... probably the greatest ever made.

I don't know how old the young man in the new series is (at my age, I begin to have problem with this!). But if he is about 30, and despite my reservations, he is the right age, according to Buchheim.