View Single Post
Old 03-18-11, 06:44 AM   #411
karamazovnew
The Old Man

Downloads: 151
Uploads: 0

Nexus, you got me wrong , I've said it time and time again that no permission is required to do anything with the interface, you can post here any idea, modification, open up new threads, anything. You can even take the interface, make it work in vanilla and rename it "The New Nexus Interface!" and I still won't mind . I've been begging modders of SH5 to take everything and put it in SH5, and use the power of SH5 to simplify the damn thing, but only Reaper7 took some interest into that.
My only concern for this interface is finally making a complex video training session to help players of all SH games grasp the power of the TDC. My fascination for Mikhayl's ACM interface for SH3 opened up a whole new way of playing the game. SH4 didn't have that and the U-boat expansion was impossible for me to play without proper tools, so I created this interface. It grew from a simple tool to an artistic endeavor, being the single greatest and at the same time only work I ever finished in a 3D and 2D program. It was also a Harry Potter mystery to figure out how the menu file worked, I solved it, created a method, tested every possible thing that was doable and made my interface at the limits of what was achievable, but all in the context of giving players a superb looking interface. It was great fun, but I've done it, it's finished. And it now rests in the files of another finished work, OM+OMEGU.

My advice is, if you want to start modding, you'll have a great time doing it. It's been one year since last tweaking this mod, I always worked by trial and error and I'm no modding teacher by far. WHat I've learned, I've wrote in this thread, least I forget them. And forget I did But try it in SH3 as there are tons of dedicated modders still pumping wonders into that old gem, or try modding SH5 as that one contrinues to grow and grow.

Although nobody has asked me this question, I think playing OMEGU is the best way to learn Silent Hunter. It's much easier and streamlined than either SH3 and SH5, sitting right between them in graphics and difficulty. It can be difficult but you always see who's hitting you and why, you always get the big picture, unlike the noob scares of SH3 or the toddler chairs of SH5. It's also the friendliest take on the game, with no bugs, no weird situations, just pure gameplay from the start. And you only need one big mod to start playing.
And considering just how broken the SH4+UBM game was at the start, and how limited in scope, it's a testimony to what Lurker has achieved with his unique mod.
karamazovnew is offline   Reply With Quote