View Single Post
Old 11-23-17, 08:45 AM   #51
TomcatMVD
Weps

Downloads: 7
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Sounds as if the spokesman in that article is somewhat avoiding the question. Mentioning snorkeling and m ission operation time while the sub obviously cannot surface or move, is a distraction.

Their electric did break probably, so implies the news so far, maybe they even had a battery or cable fire, which is worst case, or in toxication of the atmosphere from the betteries, and I take it that the sub sits still on the ground. Who knows how long it was submerged already when the problems showed up. I think you do not snorkel from 70m, or do you?

I fear they are already gone. Its the scenario with the highest probability. Hope I am wrong, though.
The Navy spokesman has been very responsible in how he conveys information. He might have been taken out of context. I heard the interview and he mentioned all possibilities from the starting point that the vessel was known to have been at least at snorkel depth by the time the last message was sent. After that, it either went down with the atmosphere having just been refreshed, or it managed to complete a couple more cycles of snorkeling before whatever happened took place. This is just to illustrate that there is no way of ascertaining with 100% accuracy the available levels of oxygen.