View Single Post
Old 09-29-17, 06:43 AM   #5350
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmialpha454 View Post
I suppose that was my first batch of mod soup. Since I have had a clean install I have been unable to replicate it. If I encounter again I will let you know. Sorry for the false alarm.
That's why the best version of SH4 to get is SH4 Gold, with no DRM, rather than the download version, which has DRM plus a two time use install key. I might have to reinstall twice a month, but not twice EVER! When you run out of install keys you have to beg to Ubi, explaining how you could have been so sinful.....it's a hassle.

The solution is the Silent Hunter 4 Corruption Management System, SH4CMS, which after clean install before you play, makes a pristine repository (ALA Linux!) of pure and honest game install files, write protected and locked down tight.

Then, when you get mod soup (it's really unavoidable) you uninstall your mods, fire up SH4CMS, restore your fresh install, reinstall the mods and most of the time you're back in business. Rarely, you might have to delete your \My Documents\SH4 savegames.

We have identified some discrepancies in the game directory name, one version installing into \Wolves of the Pacific and the other into \Silent Hunter Wolves of the Pacific and I have to write a routine for user selection for that option, but as a workaround you can just make sure your game installation is in the directory name specified in the SH4CMS instructions.

Once I rebuild Monster (my Windows and Linux computer) I'll do some work on SH4CMS.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote