Old 06-24-11, 01:01 AM   #1
Sledgehammer427
PacWagon

Location: Drinking coffee and staring at trees in Massachusetts
Downloads: 280
Uploads: 0
Default BATTLE: M-1 Abrams Vs. T-90

Haven't done one of these in a while.

The idea is simple, You pick the operators of the tanks based on who is using them now.
Basically the Abrams is limited to the USA, Australia, Egypt, the democratic Iraq, Kuwait, and Saudi Arabia. Keep in mind, Only the American versions have Depleted Uranium armor protection.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1_Abrams

The T-90 would belong to Russia, India, Algeria, Saudi Arabia(,) and Turkmenistan
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-90

You can pick your battleground, since all the countries listed have every type of terrain. Urban, desert, grassland, steppes, tundra...you name it.
Tactics are up to you, I will try not to give anyone the upper hand.

For my example, I will take a running battle between an even number of Abrams and T-90's (lets say, two platoons of four) from open meadows to a small city population less than or equal to 5,000.
This will be American tanks versus Russian ones, that way both sides have the best of both.
Now...where to begin. American platoons will be A and B, while Russian Platoons will be X and Y, tanks will have a letter-number setup, like the lead tank in Platoon A would be A-1, then the next would be A-2 and so on.
Heres the map I've come up with.

Platoon A is ordered to patrol the area east of its current position. Russian platoon X is ordered to patrol west. Nobody's dug in.

Platoon B is ordered to enter the town and push east,
Platoon Y is ordered to do the same, but move west.
these two platoons are the only ones who know there are enemies afoot near the town, A and X are simply patrolling in an alert condition.

with any luck this scenario is totally even.
The time is noon, overcast conditions, it rained recently.
-START-

Platoon A is moving in wedge formation at about....30 miles per hour.
Platoon X is doing the same, perhaps slightly faster.

X moves around the trees, and the two sight each other. Platoon A is caught slightly unprepared and X gets the jump and fires first. The Abrams' cobham armor ensure the crew will survive, but the first tank to get hit in PLT-A loses its sighting equipment. A tank from A returns fire and destroys one T-90. The sight-less tank from A fires a stray shot in manual mode, completely disabling a Russian tank before it is knocked out. A T-90 fires and disables the track on an Abrams. the last two Abrams turn north into the woods, and the T-90's attempt to fire but the Abrams move too quickly. the Abrams hide in the wood, and the T-90's move in. The ensuing fight goes quickly, the commander of one Abrams attempts to override the gun, but it hits a tree and fails to traverse, a T-90 fires and knocks it out.
One T-90 goes around the wood, and flanks the Abrams, and disables. In open areas the Abrams has an upper hand with survivability but something tells me the Russians would have the win, because the training that they recieved in this time period relied on open-area battles.

Now for the urban combat.
I'm going to condense this a little bit, the imagination tanks are kind of drained.
I can see it resulting in a draw, with all tanks disabled or destroyed. the Abrams has a speed advantage, cobham armor, as well as more training and experience in urban combat, whilst the Russian tank offers better survivability in urban environments with its 3-tier protection system.

Thus, the T-90 would win, in my opinion.

OKAY! Your TURN!
V-boat Nutcase - Need supplies? Japanese garrison on a small island in the way? Just give us a call! D4C!