View Single Post
Old 09-20-16, 11:23 AM   #42
kellpossible
Nub

Downloads: 35
Uploads: 0

I think the most important decision the team can make (aside from putting gameplay first which is great) would be to actively support the modding community and modders here with their product. Subsim wouldn't be here with without them. Take a big leaf out of kerbal space programs book, see how they do it (also a unity game by the way), by far the best mod support for a simulation style game that I've seen. No need to jump through all the hoops of hacking the executable, and fantastic interoperation between mods with minimal conflicts and the ability to change almost all functionality of the game. Any dummy can install mods in KSP just copy it into the mod folder I also get the feeling that a decision like this is best made early in the development process so as to incorporate it into the software design and reap the best results later on.

Graphics, screw it, if they support mods and the base gameplay is good, people will work for free and in a short time you'll get something like all the realism mods for KSP making it look flipping fantastic. If the people here can manage to mod Silent hunter to such a degree having to work around a huge amount of problems, I can't imagine what they could achieve with support from the developers.

There's only so much the developers can achieve with the time they have, compromises have to be made, but by supporting the modders, this game can continue to grow well after they sit back and relax.

Last edited by kellpossible; 09-20-16 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Missing word
kellpossible is offline   Reply With Quote