View Single Post
Old 03-22-19, 09:53 AM   #660
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

With all this discussion of real sub life and how they work I have to ask...Has anybody seen the movie "Below"?
While I realize it's a horror flick of sorts it is IMHA one of the most visually stunning movies to date of the period date submarines. In this movie you see control aspects of what looks like a Gato or Balao class submarine that you don't usually see. Like when he jumps down into the battery compartment when the hydrogen alarms go off to check the meters. Never seen this before. Or when they go outside and swim inside the baffles of the sub to find the damage causing oil to leak onto the surface giving away their position at time.
One of the scenes that got me was the severity of damage that was being done when the German destroyer was using its grappling hooks to find the sub when it was sitting on the bottom.
Except one of the old black and white episodes of "The Silent Service" on Youtube I have never seen anything else on the use of the grappling hooks.
How often or how many ASW ships had these?
I think they would do more damage than a depth charging.
Why is this not modeled in any of the Silent Hunter games?

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote