View Single Post
Old 11-12-16, 12:41 PM   #3
dergrunty
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

I've made double sure that the mods are all of the correct version and compatible.
I'm also pressing the TDC buttons twice and as I said, the values are correct.
In his video RockinRobins isn't even that precise with his measurements but still hits the target without much issue.

Here's what I do:
1. Take the speed and course of the target. (Place one mark at the target and another one after 3min, the distance between the two points / 100 is his speed, i.e. 1000yards = 10kn)
2. I set myself up at a 90° angle to the target course at about 1000-1500yards.
3. I calculate the lead angle by drawing two lines in a right angle (one for his speed - 1000y and one for the torpedo speed - 3100y) and measuring the angle (or simply using this site). In this example it's 18°.
4. I set my periscope at 0° - lead angle (or + if target comes from the right)
5. In the TDC I set the speed, max out the range and set the AOB to 90° - (or +) lead angle. For the last two I make sure to click the send button two times.
6. The TDC now shows me an impact angle of 90° and a gyro angle of 360° straight ahead. I double check with my attack map and everything seems to be fine.
7. Still looking exactly at the lead angle, i wait till my target crosses the line and fire one torpedo at the first mast, the second at the stack.
8. I follow my torpedoes through the scope and see both passing peacefully infront of his bow...

So, as far as I can tell, steps 1-7 are exactly what DepthToKeel is doing and his torpedoes are going exactly where he aimed them.
First I thought my speed calculation is off, so I double checked that by taking another measurement. Nope, still 10kn.
Then I thought, maybe I messed up and installed the wrong OTC version (and that screws with where I see the target and where he really is / giving me a wrong angle or something), but thats also not the case.

Maybe I'm blind and miss some obvious mistake here but idk.