View Single Post
Old 07-24-07, 06:20 PM   #11
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115
Uploads: 0

We have an alternative solution in the works concerning the refinement of contact-handling in GWX. Some contact-related situational awareness is appropriate... too much is not appropriate. Who decides?

Regarding "realism" yes, I think many people are kidding themselves... but I also think that some are poseurs. These are the guys that really stick in my craw.

250,000 ton single patrols by individuals claiming "100%" impress me not.

Editing the realism values in their respective location is an easy thing to do. (Heck, I could make nuclear torpedoes if I wanted... and remain at "100% realism.") LOL, some give their deck guns 20,000 rounds with a reload time of ZERO... and claim to be playing on "hard" settings... well that defeats the purpose.

I think that poseurs also take adantage of known exploits etc. to further their careers... all the while SWEARING and PROCLAIMING that they are gaming at "100% REALISM!"

Some, make no bones about it... that they like to uber their stuff... and no worries... They are not hiding anything... Mush Martin is not a "poseur." Diferrent people enjoy different things... and my attitude is, "Well that's cool. Who are we to dictate to anyone how they play their game."

HOWEVER, I also think that taking an elitist view on what exactly constitutes "hardcore" play and belittling others for more releaxed play is wrong... and it occurs here all the time. Encouragement to push players out of their comfort zone would work much better I think. GWX... by design encourages this... and will continue to do so.

Regarding how we present any given element in GWX... no matter what we do people will bitch about it. The research is there in BUCKETLOADS concerning many matters... especially campaign elements... and this is obvious when you read the manual.

A further variable that I think players rarely think about... As cool as SH3 is... in modding circles, fixing one thing often causes you to break another... and so you begin your rappel with a shoestring when you need a rope. Who decides which modification is adopted? Long repair times are a prime example of this phenomenon.

One thing about GWX... is that it is pretty easy for a player to enjoy at EITHER end of the "realism" spectrum. The "realism percentage" is an easily debateable AND modifiable item... it is IMHO a pointless measurement. GWX is easily "hardcore" or "arcadish" dependant on YOUR CHOICES.

We have heard it all...

"GWX is too hard!"
"GWX is just eyecandy!"
"My porridge is cold!"
"My hamster is running backwards!"

At the end of the day, it is individual convictions that will determine gameplay styles and options.

I am a "hardcore" kaleun at heart... but I get quite angry when I see that sort of attitude imposed on others in such a way that "the other guys can't join our little club because they aren't as tough/good as we are."

PLEH!

Today's swabbies... are tomorrow's admirals. They'll get tired of all the gratuitous tonnage and pretty explosions... and either get bored and leave... or get better/tougher. Forgetting that will kill the longevity of the thing we all love.

Alienating them is a mistake.

Now if we could just hunt down all the "poseurs"...

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote