View Single Post
Old 03-31-19, 05:21 PM   #3
Sniper297
The Old Man

Downloads: 160
Uploads: 19

He said he was using auto targeting for this exercise.

Couple items;
The game added more bugs in 1.5 for me, so I uninstalled it and went back to 1.4. Probably not a problem for most people, but I'm chugging along with 32 bit XP and the 1.5 patch was probably made for VISTA or win 7. I get occasional minor crashes with 1.4, frequent major BSOD with 1.5.

1.4 also has bugs, Webster's GFO mod (Game Fixes Only) helps eliminate the worst so it's playable. Somewhere there's also an optical targeting fix that moves the measurements around, never tried it but I read somewhere that it doesn't work or play well with auto targeting, only manual. The measurements near as I can tell are from center to center, so if I'm in a 100 yard long sub looking at a 130 yard destroyer head on, the end to end and center to center distance will vary by 115 yards.

A destroyer coming at 35 knots will cover 1200 yards in about one minute, so by the time you switch to external view it could be 200-300 yards closer, add to that the center to center error and 1200 yards becomes 600 in a hurry.

I generally fire down the throat with the torpedo depth set for 5 feet, between 500 and 1000 yards depending on how fast he's coming. Webster's GFO is a BIG factor in this, in the stock game enemy ships (ESPECIALLY destroyers!) accelerate like a dragster and turn on a dime, Webster added mass and inertia to make them behave more like the real thing so if you fire close enough they won't have time to dodge.

As for the spread, two ways;

1. Constant bearing timed shots. Aim, lock, then unlock, move the scope to the bow - the triangle should still be on, even if it's unlocked. Fire, wait 10 seconds, fire two, wait 10 more seconds, fire three, etc. The movement of the target across the torpedo tracks will spread the hits bow to stern.

2. Aimed shots - this is much more difficult with manual targeting, and not as realistic since the real world they spaced out the shots so the torpedoes wouldn't be so close together their wakes would screw each other up or even cause collisions and prematures. Aim at bow, fire. shift scope aft a little, fire two, repeat as fast as you want because the game doesn't simulate torpedoes being jostled around by the wake of the torpedo it's following. Again manual targeting requires clicking the SEND RANGE AND BEARING TO TDC button in between each shot with the moving scope to aim method, not a problem with auto targeting.

3. Automatic spread - if that works for you great, for me they always spread unpredictably and too far apart so I gave up on it. Not saying it's good or bad, just that it doesn't work well for me.

Last but not least, you are remembering to hit the Q key and check the message window that the tubes are open before firing?
Sniper297 is offline   Reply With Quote