View Single Post
Old 03-31-19, 11:20 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
I am running the SH4 V1.5 Gold Edition of the game with Uboat missions.
I am starting to get very frustrated in trying to run the basic missions and have to ask....
Is this version of the game patched properly or are there still bugs in the game that makes accurately lining up and targeting ships an impossibility or a sometimes yes and sometimes no depending on the particular mission?

I am getting very frustrated in trying to run manual targeting and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or is it the computer. Especially when I found the computer making the most basic mistakes. Every time I have a target "targeted" and fire the torpedo it goes off in some wild ass'ed direction that I never put in.
So I went back to computer assisted targeting to see what I should be looking at when targeting.
I am running the basic training missions to keep it simple and see what's happening. Once you get into combat missions and have ships trying to kill you it gets to "rushed" to study what should be happening when running the torpedo targeting drill.
I started with the most simple torpedo targeting mission there is. The torpedo training mission. Large cruiser across your bow at 2,000 yds. When I use the computer assisted targeting for the TDC first with scoped "L" locked on target and the spread set to 0 it runs fine all fish hit the same spot on the ship. Then I ran it again and added a 2 degree spread with each fish I fired. As it should have all fish impacted the hull of the cruiser about 50' apart from each other.

Then I decided to run one of the single combat missions in assist mode to again see what I should be looking at in Manual Targeting.
However when running this nothing made sense. At the beginning the first Akizuki destroyer breaks away from the convoy and heads straight for you. I lock in on using both radar and the assisted "L" and arrow just to see again what I should be seeing when doing the manual. I know you won't see the little triangle but again I am using it just to test the game.
So as the Akizuki is closing on me I dive to periscope depth at 6,000 yds. and start setting up my torpedoes. I set them all to high speed and 0 degree spread until I see which way he turns.
I left my periscope up so I would get accurate updates on my range but even that didn't help.
The computer tried to tell me that I was over 1200 yds. away when I could clearly see from my "godseye" or F11 view that I was only a couple hundred yards from him. I mean WTF!!!
How are you supposed to play this game and feel like you are remotely playing the "real" thing if you can't even get truthful information from the computer.
I could understand if I was doing manual targeting and put the wrong information in but the computer was doing all the work. All I had to do was look at the target and shoot.
manual targeting is not easy.
you might want to try using auto-targeting until you get the hang of things. then make the jump to manual targeting.

you may be trying to sprint before you can walk. no offense meant.
either way, good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote