View Single Post
Old 02-18-06, 05:40 PM   #26
ref
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Ok, I need a brave Kaleun to test something, I've been testing the kiel canal in my machine without problems, but I can't cover all the posibilities, also I've the developing tools in my machine and I need someone to try the software in a machine that hasn't it installed to check if it doesn't require addicional dlls. the software id quite simple, just unzip it into any dir it should look like this :

the program makes backup of your original files, but just to be on the safer side make a copy of them before running the program.
The two files you need to backup are Terraindata.BFD and Terraindata.BFI

As you can see it's designed to make incremental updates, so
the .00.ORIGINAL are the original sh3 files, the subsecuent numbered files stores the last modifications. (if you're running low on space any file with a number greater than 00 is safe to delete)

Once made the backup copy click on repack.

Select your original terrain file , should be in:
C:\program files\Ubisoft\SilentHunterIII\data\Terrain\Data

when it finish proccesing you're done.

Notes on the updated terrain:

I've to make a compromise between real life an playability with
the dimensions of the canal, I'm sure someone will start taking measures , because of the way sh3 renders the terrain I have to make it a lot wider than the original (the shape of the canal is the actual one, wich I take from satellite photos from google earth so I don't know if its accurate for wwii, I think that they only widened it), take a look at this drawing :

In the graphic file its only 3 pixels wide, If I make it smaller it would be impossible to navigate it, trust me I've run a lot of times into the ground when testing :rotfl:

Also ther are noticeable jaggs in the terrain, they are there all the time, but we usualy don't navigate 100 mts from ground .

The corners that you see are 1 pixel in the terrain file, wich corresponds to aprox. 200 mts in the game.

Practical tip, plot your course at least 150 mts from the shore

As you see the deep decreases rapidly near the borders.

The view is preety poor , perhaps someone with more experience in cloning objects can add some buildings, etc.

Her Kaleun we've reached the Elba river

Here is the file :

http://rapidshare.de/files/13578704/...edist.zip.html

The extractor part of the program is almost finished, It will take me a few more days to make it bulletproff, it is functional, but its to easy to make errors , also I need to make a turorial on how to use it, I.m sure that when It's finished the more talented people of this forum will make wonderfull things with it.

Any problems please post here or mail me :

roberto_fernandez@datafull.com
ref is offline   Reply With Quote